Translated by: Ahmad Ismaeil Abadi
What other historical places does the holy shrine of Imam Reza (PBUH) have other than his shrine? The pilgrims of Imam Reza (AS), all due to the love they have in the Imam of eighth just walking around the shrine so, they were unaware of the most happened around them some years and centuries ago in this holy shrine. Around the shrine, there is the tomb of several famous people and several important places which back to the history. The shrine of Imam Reza (PBUH) has not been always so great and not always existed the grave of so many famous people around it so, it lasted for several years and over and over different people have gathered here. From Abbas Mirza up to Sheikh Baha'i has come and gone and sometimes bad things happen and the foreigners bombarded the shrine but a something long-lasting thing can not move by ball gun and shooting.
A) The holy shrine of Sheik Bahayee
Sheikh Baha'i was known as prominent scholars of Iran at the time of Shah Abbas Safavid. He since the age of 53 until the end of the reign of Shah Abbas held the position of Sheikh al-Islam. Sheikh Baha'i died in the year 1000 AH in Isfahan and according to his will; his body was conveyed to the holy shrine of Imam Reza (PBUH) and he is buried near the Museum of Astan Quds and among the courtyard of Azadi and the porch of Imam Khomeini (RA) .
B: The Tomb of Sheikh Tabarsi
Sheikh Tabarsi the author of the famous book of "the interpretation of Majma Al -bayan" had born, but moved to Mashhad and spent most of his life in the vicinity of Imam Reza (PBUH) in this city. Some sources, have quoted his death reason the attack the Turks of Ghaznavi. That's why he is referred to as "martyr" and others have described his death as a result of natural causes while, others report his death natural thus, Sheikh Tabarsi has been buried in the old cemetery in Mashhad known as the garden of Rezvan. South porch (in the courtyard of freedom) that is known as Golden porch has been built by "Amir Alishir Navoi", the Minister of Sultan Hussein Bāyqarā in the ninth century AD. The gold porch is 21 meters high. It is built of the Molds, includes four doors and its surface has been gilded at the time of Nader Shah Afshar moreover, the porch of Abbas was built at the time of Shah Abbas. The porch that is 22 meters high, the Western porch of the shrine with 24 m height is known as the tallest buildings of the shrine sanctuary; this is the same entrance porch where on its entrance is a great clock that is known as "porch time". The Eastern or Western entrance porch also like timpani houses includes two separate porches so; on the top of this building is 26 meters high. In fact, the Timpani building after the pray of night, on the nights of Aids, each days two times and ten minute before the rising and setting of the sun, at the time of new years approaching, on the dawns of the Ramadan and to call on the people is used. The porch of Eastern or timpani house also like the western porch has two separate porches so; on top of this building that is 26 meters high is the home of Timpani building. When the courtyard of the Old (revolution) in the Safavid era and with the design of "sheikh Bahayee" was built, Mullah Mohsen Faiz Kashani " who was the wise, mystic and poet of that period, suggested to the design a space for those who for whatever reason can not enter the holy shrine to be able closely visit the shrine and to read Ziaratnamah so, a steel window steel window overlooking the holy shrine was installed and since then became known as the " steel windows".
(E) the Dome;
The first dome of the shrine in the early of sixth century was built by "Sultan Sanjari Seljuki" and then it was repeatedly rebuilt and repaired. The initial dome shape was made of tile and contained mirror work that still remained on the dome. Sultan Mohammed Khwarazmshah was among those who decorated the shrine with the finest tiles of that time and ordered to add altar to the shrine. The minaret of the dome at the rime of Gaznavian by the order of the ruler of Shiraz, "Ibn Moataz", was built; The Dome shrine has been built of brick and later on was encased with copper discs by the gold covering. The Gilding of this dome for the last time in 1010 to 1016 was done in the reign of Shah Abbas. Evidently, the surfaces and rebuilding of the dome has been before rebuilding. There are two covers on the ceiling and the top of its dome. The inscriptions covered around the dome related to the story of walking Shah Abbas from Isfahan to Mashhad on foot that is written by the third line by Ali Reza Abbasi. Shah Tahmasb, Shah Abbas and the King Solomon Safavid were known as the kings who were involved in the reconstruction and development of the shrine. Shah Tahmasb rebuilt the minaret of the shrine and gilded them and by his command the brick tiles on the dome changed into the gold. This gold-plated dome is the same dome that still exists in the exterior view. In addition, the porch of Amir Ali Shiir and finial of the dome was also gilded. Kamal al-Din Muhammad Yazdi, known as the famous architect of that period by the orders of Shah Abbas made a coating of copper and gold on the dome. Also in this era the inscription of the dome was calligraphied by "Ali Abbas", with golden letters in the background of turquoise on the third line.
d): The comprehensive courtyard of Razavi:
The largest courtyard of the shrine of Imam Reza (PBUH) includes an area of 17584 square meters and was built after the Revolution. In the courtyard of the located on the southward of the tomb that accommodate about 70 thousand worshipers. In the courtyard of the central mosque of Delhi known as the largest masques of the world about 25,000 people pray there.
Click to see full size image:
e) The Museum of the holy shrine:
The cornerstone of the museum was put in 1936 (1315). This architect its plan was depicted by Andre Godard, the famous French architect, has three floors and a basement was built and opened in 1945. However, over the past up to now several other works added to the holy shrine of Razavi Museum. Such as different types of Quran manuscripts, containers, weapons, coins and medals donations and valuable Museum carpets.
f: the old Clock of the courtyard;
In the shrine of Imam Reza (PBUH) there are two hours. The smaller one which is older installed on the above of the southern porch tower of Azadi courtyard, this clock that is the first clock of the shrine, at the time of Naser –Al-Din Shah and by Amin al-Mulk the Prime Minister of Iran at that time, from Manchester brought to Iran and was dedicated to the holy shrine. The present date on the courtyard indicates the hour of 1893. Current clock existed earlier in the courtyard of the Revolution, respectively, and later moved here. However, earlier, this clock was stitched by a hand crank and after the arrival of electric power to Mashhad it was plugged to the electricity. It currently works by electric vehicle that every 24 hours tunes once and If encounters a power outage, will work up to 24 hours.
g) The courtyard: the courtyard of the Islamic Revolution (the old courtyard or ancient courtyard)
It is the oldest and most magnificent courtyard of shrine of Imam Reza (AS). Its construction dates back to the ninth century and located in the north of the holy tomb. The Tomb of Sheikh Hassan Ali and Sheikh Hasan Qazvini also are . The courtyard contains four porches. Ivan rare gold in the south, Ivan Abbasi in North, West and veranda porch at home timpani that explain where others said located in this courtyard. This courtyard contains four porches that is, the porch of Naderi gold in the south, the porch of Abbasi in North, the porch on the West and the porch timpani that discussed above.
: The courtyard of Azadi (New Courtyard)
This courtyard located at the Paradise of the holy shrine is newer than other scenes and was built in the course of Fath Ali Shah. The Courtyard of Azadi contains four porches and the tomb of Sheikh Jafar Mojtahedi also is located in the chamber 24.
h) The courtyard of Islamic Republic (New Courtyard);
This courtyard was built by the prosperity of Islamic revolution and it is known as the first places that after the course of revolution were added to the shrine. Among this courtyard, there is an index for measuring pray times as well as a drinking room (Sagakhaneh) unlike traditional courtyard with electronic eyes was also added.
i): the shrine of the old saddler
The tomb belonging to the Safavid located on the east side of the shrine o and belonging to the tomb of Sufi Mohammad of the sixteenth century mystics. This building has a brick porch and onion-shaped dome and the turquoise -colored tiling. The nickname of the old saddler attributed to this mystic that despite the high position he had among the people, he was busy making saddles.
j) Sheikh Hurr Amoli
Sheikh Hurr Amoli is known as the prominent Shia scholars and famous book of "Masael Al Shia" is of his works. Sheikh Horr Amoli was born in the region, "Jabal Amel" and he descends from "Al-Hurr- Ibn Yazid al Riahi," the companions of Imam Hussain (PBUH). He was also of the scholar of Safavid era for a while and was meeting Alameh Majlesi and after some time went to Mashhad and stayed there till end of his life. His tomb in the porch is regarded as one of the chambers of the court of the Islamic Revolution.
k) : Drinking room (Sagakhaneh) known as the Golden Ismail
It is narrated the stones of Sagakhaneh was donated by Nadir Shah and its Golden bricks has also been presented by Ismail Khan that’s why it is known to as Naderi drinking room and gold Ishmael. It is said the drinking room that contains Stone said that the three suffice water was got booty by Nadir Shah and to bring it Mashhad gave it to Ismail Khan. Ismail too fast and through 9-day brought it from Herat to Mashhad so that Nadir Shah reward him Gold the same weight of the gold. He did not hesitate and picked up large stone and gold coins and took them to build a drinking room in the middle of the Old courtyard. Sagakhaneh (drinking room) have been built at the outskirts of the years 1144 to 1145 by the marble and Ostad Ismail the gold-ornate built a domed roof on it.
L) The Mosque of Gohar Shad:
A mosque located on the southern of the shrine, and by the command, "Gohar Shad Begum", wife of Shah Rukh, son of Timuor was built. Mosque of Gohar Shad despite all the damages seen in history, but has been rebuilt for several times again. This mosque is a sample the Islamic-Iranian model of a mosque. This is the same Mosque at the era of Reza Shah where people gathered because of wearing hats of Shampoo and they were shot by government forces.